Monday 23 February 2009

Had the strangest dream


I dreamt today that I was sitting in a train in the subway yard (which we don't really do) eating my lunch and that I bumped the brakes on and off. Suddenly a huge gust of wind took over the train and it jumped the tracks and starting careening wildly about the dreamscape of my mind. Bucking and rolling sideways, I narrowly avoided hitting a children's birthday party, a graduation, a governor's ball and some sort of garden party. Sadly, I did managed to ram several cars, however they were parked. Many of my co-workers saw what was going out and rushed over to check it out. One suggested I jump off the train, but another was like, "No, stay on it looks like fun!" and this is what I chose. Eventually the train started going around in circles in a large parking lot where it ran out of steam and finally settled down.

Afterwards, I walked back to the division to go talk to the bosses about this incident. As I went, I tried to see what time it was but my watch would show me everything except the time. I could see cartoons, kaleidoscopic images, a timer, various other watch-like functions, and even a function that made the watch grow to 5 times it's size, making it look like a watch that perhaps bugs bunny would wear. However, I could not determine the time of day, and was rather worried as I knew I had to go and drive another train at some point. I also realized at this point that I was not in uniform. I had my correct jacket but was otherwise dressed in sweat pants and a t-shirt. So I began to get quite worried about getting home to change clothes before coming back to work as well. First though, I had to go see the boss.

I got to the bosses office and it was in an open area with a big round table, a la king Arthur. Seated there were the big boss, his assistant, another supervisor and several random operators. I went to sit down and when I did a guy and girl who were obviously a couple sat down next to me. Actually the guy sat next to me and the girl sat on my lap and proceeded to speak to the guy without even acknowledging my presence. I thought I might speak up, but then the bosses started talking to me. They asked what happened and I replied that I had no idea. I had bumped the brakes for a second but there was no way that a train should react that way. All three nodded and then they got up to leave. I was like, "is that it?" and they replied that they would need to investigate the matter further and then they left.

So here I am alone at this round table with this random girl sitting on me. Sometime during my conversation her boyfriend had left so she suddenly deigned to notice my presence. She apologized for sitting on me but thought I wouldn't mind as she is very light. I basically said that I guess it didn't matter but that I had to get up now and leave to go get changed, so she got up and let me leave. Once again I tried to check the time but now my watch was doing crazy things, spinning and growing and shrinking at random and shooting out rainbow coloured lights. A co-worker noticed and asked where I had gotten the watch, as he thought it was cool. "I don't know," I replied, "it was a gift."

I decided to go to my car to get home and also check the time, but I couldn't find it in the confusion Instead I ended up wandering around and around the parking lot searching and hoping the runaway train hadn't crushed it, all the while getting more and more anxious about being able to change and return to work on time to get my next train.

That's where my dream ended. Classic rock woke me from my nap and it took me several minutes to realize that, as fantastical as that was, it was only a dream.

but what does it mean, exactly?


3 comments:

  1. I see the problem...the train never went into a tunnel. Sorry man...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...have you been reading those Steven King novels again..this is like one of his wild and crazy dreams....

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol ken...yeah sadly the train hasn't gone into a tunnel for a while now...long enough to make me a bit edgy, at least...

    and no, steven king ain't got nothing on some of the stuff rattling around in my brain. Sadly, though, his is more commercial...

    ReplyDelete