Thursday 21 July 2011

FURTHUR

Just a short blog on what some are saying could be the hottest day in Toronto, EVER.  Crazy.  Everyone I've seen today looks like they are on the verge of melting and I am reminded of the old Twilight Zone episode where the Earth is drifting slowly towards the sun, every day getting hotter until all life on Earth goes up in flames.  Yikes!  Time to find something to do to cool down.


Today's also the last day my friend Jessica's in town.  I'm driving her to the airport tonight/tomorrow morning.  Hope the plane doesn't burst into flames from the heat....


So I just finished reading "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe for the first time this week.  I'm not going to do a whole review, but I have some thoughts.  If you don't know, this is the story of Ken "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" Kesey and his buddies, the "Merry Pranksters."  They were basically (as the book tells it) responsible for the psychedelic movement of the 1960's.  Anyway the book is fascinating.  I recommend it.


The thing about it is, well, their mission was noble.  They wanted to take the human experience further and bring people to a new level of consciousness.  I'm all for it.  They had two tenets that I really relate to.  Here I'll let Kesey explain it...

"All of us are beginning to do our thing, and we're going to keep doing it, right out front, and none of us are going to deny what other people are doing....Everybody is going to be what they are, and whatever they are, there's not going to be anything to apologize about.  What we are, we're going to wail with on this whole trip." 

Basically Kesey wanted everyone to be as honest as possible and also for everyone else not to give them a hard time about it.  Be totally open with thoughts and feelings.  Totally out front man.  I like it.

Of course it didn't work.  They forgot that a lot of people are in it just to hurt others.  Sucks.  Still, it's an interesting ride.  Or should I say, what a long, strange trip it's been...

No comments:

Post a Comment