Thursday 5 January 2012

Resolute 2012!!


Well, now that the new year is in full swing, let's see what my goals are...as long time readers know, I made 5 simple goals last year that I actually more-or-less stuck to and that really helped me feel like I accomplished something in 2011.  I hope to capture that same magic twice by saying I'll do something this year, and then doing it!  But what shall I do??  Let's see....

1.  My number one priority this year - be OUT OF DEBT before 2013!  Based on the payments I made last year and the amount that I still owe, this is a completely reasonable and manageable goal.  I may have to tighten my belt slightly, but it CAN AND SHOULD be done.  Stay tuned to find out if it will!

2.  Last year I lost about 40 pounds.  In the last 5 years I have lost about 150 pounds.  Sadly, a lot of that is muscle mass.  This year I would like to maintain my weight in the 135-155 range, while actually building a little muscle and tone.  Not training to be Batman, just a little tone.  In this spirit, I have decided to start on a weekly exercise schedule - nothing even close to strenuous - just something I can do that's positive and physical at least once a week to help myself feel better and stronger.  I am a very lazy person, but I don't think this is too much to ask of myself.  If I manage to exercise once a week for the year I'll consider this fulfilled!

3.  Last year I wanted to learn how to play some more difficult songs on the guitar, and so I did!  This year, I want to memorize some of those songs.  When I play now, I use a songbook...I want to be able to play more songs right off the top of my head.  In that spirit, I've decided to memorize one song a month, chords and lyrics, throughout 2012.  Maybe I'll even record the song-of-the-month for Youtube.  This month's song is Mary Jane's Last Dance by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  I'll let you know how it goes.

4.  Writing - I am doing quite well keeping up with this blog and also with Fruitless Pursuits!  I want to continue to maintain that for sure...at least one article a week for Stryder's Dementia and at least 2 a month for Fruitless Pursuits (one a week as long as I keep up my current weekly comic book article)!  I also would like to work more on developing story ideas for some longer fiction that I've been working on and also I'd like to work a bit on songwriting.  Unfortunately, I know better than to try to force those...I need to be in the right state of mind or what I come up with is crap.  Nevertheless, I think it can be done!!

That reminds me - I have a great story idea for a Graphic Novel.  Sadly, I can't draw at all.  If you're an artist looking for a writer, please let me know!

5.  Finally, I have decided that my living environment has a tremendous impact on my emotional well-being and that I let it get too dirty and cluttered too often!  Thus, at the VERY MINIMUM, I need to schedule one half day a month to really clean my apartment and keep it looking nice.  I am sick and tired of being apologetic when someone who's not over often comes by.  Not that my place is ever really dirty, but I always feel like it could be a little cleaner.  Perhaps once I pay of my debt I can pay someone to do this one for me?

All right well that's all I got right now.  Mostly these are a natural continuation of last year's goals and I think that's a good thing!  I also still want to be more adventurous and open to trying new things, just like last year, but I decided that this is a goal not quite measurable enough to post for the year.  It's too open to interpretation!  Let's just keep open and fun and see what the new year brings! 

Happy 2012 everybody!  Remember the words of Mahatma Gandhi - "Be the change you want to see in the World!"

No comments:

Post a Comment