Saturday 10 March 2012

Limitless Undying Love...


I have to start remembering (And I know, this makes me sound like a jerk) that all of the people out there really are humans too, with your own deep, complicated universes floating through your minds.  Sometimes it's hard, particularly in a job like mine where you see about 10,000 people every day, to remember that all of them, all of YOU, are, in most ways, just like me!  It's so much easier to think of other people as if they were trees in a forest or sprites in a video game...present for scenery or simply to help me on my path, but devoid of any other raison d'etre other than for my use or enjoyment.  Obviously, this is totally wrong and quite a selfish point of view.  Isn't it?

Ok, it's actually impossible in a big city for any human being to treat other, randomly encountered humans in an appropriate and respectful way.  I wish I could take the time to learn everyone's name and at least one other important fact, but I can't...I wouldn't even make it across the street and everyone around me would think I was a crazy person for showing unsolicited, sincere interest!  If a stranger came to me in the street and was genuinely curious about my life, I'd be immediately and deeply uncomfortable and suspicious.  I'd absolutely be looking for an escape route right away.

And then I complain that I'm lonely, have a hard time meeting people, and sometimes feel isolated in my daily life.  Gee, how odd.

Last week I finished both my posts here and over at Fruitless Pursuits with the line "Limitless undying love" from the Beatles song "Across the Universe".  I got a compliment on my "new tag" and it made me think about it a little harder than I had originally.  I felt less than truthful because I don't feel limitless undying love for everyone...at most I have limitless and undying ambivalence.  Perhaps general well wishes...but love?  I think not.

But I *WISH* that it was true.  I guess that's a start...if I should be the change I want to see in the world, then I must be the change that I want to see in myself.  So it may not quite be love yet, but at least I must make it a point to be a kinder, friendlier stranger.

It's a kind of love!  We're so isolated here in Western civilization...so alone and so programmed to be that way...be independent!  Every man for himself!  Live the American dream and get ahead of everybody! 

Bull.  It shouldn't be like that and it doesn't have to be!  Maybe I can't treat everyone I meet as a long lost brother or friend, but I can make a conscious effort to be more open, more friendly and just to care!  Care about everyone's need and not just my own.  If we all do this, it won't be such an overwhelming task.  It doesn't have to be that hard...just a smile and a kind word every now and again make the world a nicer place.  Kindness without personal involvement is an option.  Let's do it!

Limitless undying love!  Make it Real!!

No comments:

Post a Comment