Thursday 21 June 2012

Counting Crows @ Echo Beach!


Last Friday night I got to see my favourite band, Counting Crows, perform at Echo Beach in Toronto!

What an awesome show.  If you EVER have a chance to see these guys live, take it!  Even if you aren't a fan...this is one of the few bands who are maybe BETTER live than on their albums.  I've only seen them twice in concert now but both times I have been blown away!  I love every silly little song these guys have ever sang (yeah, even "Accidentally In Love", as ridiculous as it is) and can't say enough good things about them!  If I had the money, I would happily quit my job to follow them around, Grateful Dead style...

Sadly, that's not to be.  I'll have to be content to await their return to Toronto...
 
Well, it was a great night except for one thing.  I'm a little disappointed in myself and my ability to "step up" as it were....See, although I was at the concert with my buddies, I spent most of the time talking to this girl Ally (spelling?) that I met at the show.  Without going into too much detail, I learned that she was an American, up to Toronto for the summer for some school related thing...she's far too young to be a Counting Crows fan (like, 21) but her dad got her into them back in the day...I dunno we just chatted between band sets and such...she was nice!  Sweet, even...

Anyway at the end of the night we just parted ways.  I didn't ask what she was doing or where she was going...didn't get a number or try to find out if I could see her again..nothing.  I just said good-bye and walked away, even given multiple chances to work a little harder.  I didn't even try, despite being pretty sure that she liked me and despite the fact that obviously, I liked her quite a bit. 

If this was an isolated event I guess it wouldn't matter...I could chalk it up to being "off my game" or some such...but it's NOT isolated.  I've had several similar opportunities this year, even dating a really nice girl for a while...a girl whom I proceeded to keep at arms length, treat inconsistently and, if I'm honest, rather poorly...then suddenly break off contact, for no great reason and through no fault of her own.

I don't get it. 

I constantly feel lonely and pine for a girlfriend whom I could really open up to and feel close with...someone I could share everything with.  I want that relationship where my girlfriend is my BEST friend...and yet whenever I'm presented with an opportunity to at least take a step in this direction, I balk...

When I was younger, I used to be scared that if I talked to a pretty girl, she might not like me.  Now I guess I am petrified that if I talk to that pretty girl, she WILL like me! 

Perhaps I'm just too hung up on the past.  "Love like you've never been hurt" sounds like both a silly dream and an impossible task to me. 

Or maybe I just don't know WHAT I  really want.

What the hell, man?  What AM I scared of?  What DO I want?  Obviously, I gotta figure this stuff out...

But yeah, Counting Crows.  What a great band and despite my silly complaints, what a terrific night!!  Come back soon, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment