Friday 4 January 2013

We All Wanna Change the World...



Well, it's 2013!  Now what? 

Long-time readers will know that over the last couple of years, I set down my long term goals for the year in writing here on this blog and then follow-through with them (or not) throughout the year.  In this way, I avoid making silly resolutions that I give up on immediately.  It's been working out pretty well for me!

When it came time to think about what I want to do in 2013, I really came up shorter than normal.  I feel like I've almost got my life together now...there's not too much left that I care to change.  Of course, "Stay the course big guy" doesn't make for the most fascinating writing, now, does it?

With that in mind, here's a few things I'd like to accomplish this year: 

1.  Have a minimum of $5000.00 in a separate savings account by the end of the year. 

Considering that this is only a fraction of the amount of cash I had to pay to get out of debt in 2012, I think it's a reasonable goal.  My only obstacle is that now that I don't have to pay off debt, I want to upgrade some furniture and whatnot.  That's gonna cost me!  Regardless,  I think it's important to finally start saving.  A nest egg!  Crazy...

2.  Maintain a healthy lifestyle!  

This encompasses continuing my exercise plan and maintaining my current weight, as per last year, but takes it just a little further.  For example, I have been putting off going to the Dentist, getting my wisdom teeth out, finding a permanent General Practitioner and getting regular check-ups rather than just going to the walk-in when I have a specific problem, etc.  This is unacceptable.  I have learned that procrastination in these matters often leads to much larger issues...the last thing I need is to accomplish all my goals but then get tripped up by totally avoidable health issues!

3.  Try a few "new" interests.

Over the last year or so, I have become interested in trying a few different things but have not acted upon  these interests due to lack of time or money or simply motivation.  This list includes: 

-Seeing a Psychiatrist
-Joining a Yoga class
-Taking a course in Philosophy
-Learning some form of Self-Defence
-Taking a few Guitar lessons

Now I am totally NOT planning on doing all of these things.  Scheduling alone means that I cannot do all 4 simultaneously.  However, I want to at least TRY some of them, and maybe switch it up if I get bored.  Or I may not try anything on the above list, but find something ELSE new as the opportunity arises.  I just want to expand both my knowledge and my skill set as I age.  No-one creative should ever be satisfied simply resting on their laurels...

4.  Start trying to put more of my writing energies into a "big picture" project.

This is where things get tricky.  It occurred to me (I think I even mentioned it previously) that I write all these little posts and if I'd been writing one big thing, I'd be done by now.  However, I don't want to quit Stryder's Dementia OR Fruitless Pursuits.  A Conundrum!  How do I resolve it?  I haven't fully decided yet, but it may well be that something will have to give.  Either way, I'd like to have something more substantial to show, writing-wise, by the end of 2013.

5.  Be flexible and don't be afraid to experiment.

This is less a goal than simply a reminder to myself...to be willing to make changes...to be willing to try new ideas and also be willing to give up on old ideas and patterns that maybe aren't working for me any longer.  Also to be able to TELL when it's time to start something and when it's time to quit something.  Not to mention I need to do this without letting myself get stretched too thin.  It's a juggling act, for sure! 

Mainly I just want to be happy!  I want to try things that I think will make me happy, and I want to stop doing things that don't make me happy any longer.  I also need the wisdom to tell these types of things apart!  Habit is NOT a good enough reason to keep doing anything...

So there we go!  Not quite the black-and-white TO-DO list that I put forth in 2012, but as I evolve, so do my goals.  I'll be very curious where 2013 ends up taking us ALL!  I hope you are too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment