Friday 26 April 2013

13 Days...


13 days and counting I've been coughing up gunk whilst my brain tries it's hardest to escape through my nose.  DEE-Lightful! 

Ah well it's not the worst it could be, but it's tiring...it wears on me.

It reminds me of something I heard the other day...about modern life and how one goal of our civilization seems to be making all of us as comfortable as possible.  A worthy goal, perhaps...however, there's a lack of character that seems to arise as a side-effect.

Case in point, here I am whining about my cold rather than being a man and sucking it up. 

The quote that crossed my mind was "growing comfortable with discomfort."  Something that certainly I could stand to do...

I frequently think of the novel "The Drawing of the Three" by Stephen King when I am trying to push through circumstances that I would rather not abide, but for whatever reason must.  I remember how the main character, the Gunslinger, was gravely sick and wounded...feverish with infection...and yet he was unrelenting.  He accepted his extreme discomfort and refused to give in to it, despite the near certainty that death would result. 

Do I have that kind of willpower?  Almost certainly not.  I'm a bit of a wuss, I admit.  I'd like to, though.  As I am getting older, perhaps my tenacity is growing as well....certainly experience tempers one's tendencies towards overreacting...

It's just doing what you need to do, despite circumstances.  Being comfortable with discomfort.  It's worth a shot...

1 comment:

  1. The best way to make it through any bout of discomfort is to spend the day with both hands tightly wound around your ball sack. Then anytime the thought of crying about some sort of discomfort comes along, squeeze as hard as you can. In the end your brain will recognize the commonality between complaining and scrotum pain. At the end of the day your complaining and crying about any type of discomfort would have gone away. If not, go to a doctor, your testicals may have some internal bleeding and should be dealt with by a medical professional.

    ReplyDelete